Friday, October 12, 2007

School of Thought

Having two sons in high school doing their best not to be completely demoralised by the absolute corporate nature of the education system, I find solice in the knowledge that they are in good company:



"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice."
~ Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)



"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."
~ Socrates (470 - 399 BC



"Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used"
~ Dr. Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)



"Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant intelligence."
~ Henrik Tikkanen (1924 - 1984)



"If the Aborigine drafted an I.Q. test, all of Western civilization would presumably flunk it."
~ Stanley Garn (1922 - 2007)



"Common sense is not so common"
~ Voltaire (1694 - 1778)



"I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde"
~ Dolly Parton (1946 -)



"Nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
~ Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)



"My education was interrupted only by my schooling"
~ Winston Churchill (1874- 1965)



"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't."
~ Anatole France (1844 - 1924)



"My mother tells this story that when I first went to school, I thought I was going to help the teachers. I didn't realise I was going to get educated"
~ Moon Unit Zappa

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen to all of that, Pisces. So true. I can't think of any good thing school ever did for me - in fact, I'm not sure I can even remember any of it. The university of life is a far better and far more colourful educator. I don't envy your sons and I don't envy any parent whose children are stuck within a bureaucratic, corporatised school system.

Anonymous said...

Far beneath tranquility
Way below my shoes
There lies within a hostile heart
That melted my icy cube

Collecting friends is easy to do
Keeping them isn't for you
I'll spend my days remembering your ways
So take care of the few that remain
Take care of the few that remain

Surround yourself with stay pressed perfection
The tread-mill is running fast
The laptop can keep up with every connection
Even your star studded cast

Collecting friends is easy to do
Keeping them isn't for you
I'll spend my days remembering today
So take care of the few that remain
I'll spend my days remembering your ways
So take care of the few that remain
Take care of the few that remain

Take care of the few .....

Alexiev said...

Great Blog...

Best wishes from Buenos Aires...

http://www.alexiev.com.ar
Alexiev Store

karoline in the morning said...

lol pi...what a fabulous compilation of wonder..i shall forward this link to my eldest in his first year of university...

or......wait...maybe not..lol

k:))

Garth said...

Vanilla: It's fascinating to look back on my education and to see all the things they left out of the history lessons :]

Anon: Lonely? Why not phone a friend: 0800-FAR-COUGH

Alexiev: Thanks for visiting. Love your artwork.

Karoline: perhaps it would be best to let them finish their schooling before education them ;}

Anonymous said...

got a dime?

ain't nothing free left in the world, is there ?

Bookshop

Buy this book on Lulu. Kindle Version
Kindle Version
© Garth Erickson. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Page Ranking Tool
Creative Commons License