Monday, June 06, 2011

Cold Comfort

[Words of advice for the disenchanted]


You may be telling your story very well, but what exactly are you saying?
Spewing gospel is no way to catch a man’s attention; nobody wants to be judged by the story they are reading.
These are aphorisms for a generation beyond the religion that was planted in them at birth; these are notes to myself.
Sceptical anger is a driver that precludes ambition; dreams of high office and power are not sent to the angry sceptic.
Check your basic principals before acting on a promise of financial gain.
Check your wallet after being accosted by charitable souls.
Check your anger at the doorway to contented hours; drag it behind you when you leave.
Practice what you preach; there is nothing worse than a hypocrite.
When the learning curve is steep it is useful to remember that you are being supported by what you learned yesterday; don’t wipe your feet on yesterday’s news.
History is best understood from multiple viewpoints; it is a live insect on a pin and is liable to wriggle.
Tomorrow is when you get to do it all again in the hope that you might get it right one day; and, who knows, maybe you will.
I may be telling you stories, but what exactly am I saying?

4 comments:

Baino said...

I'd like to add "Always expect the unexpected" And no, there is nothing worse than a hypocrite but we all are . . . think about it.

Confessions of a Temporal Lobe said...

Sometimes I like to think of Saxon Plastic Jesus riding shotgun in a white caddy with his CEO behind the wheel, blasting down some long dark stretch of road, breeze in hair, radio set to oldies but goodies.

I asked my Grandfather once why we didn't go to church on sunday.
His reply: If I went to church on sunday I would only sit in the pew thinking about all the fish I could be catching.

So I go fishing and think about God on the river bank instead.

Cheers.

Garth said...

Baino: spot on

Lobe: Good point. Me, I don't go fishing (inability) and I don't think about god (he don't exist)

Confessions of a Temporal Lobe said...

Wait, I made a point? And I thought I was just running my country trap with silliness from my head.
Hope your weekend was a good one.

Bookshop

Buy this book on Lulu. Kindle Version
Kindle Version
© Garth Erickson. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Page Ranking Tool
Creative Commons License