Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A Cold Day in Heliopolis

[Extracted from the files of Mark Time P.I.]


“My sister’s an Employability Assistant with one of the city’s most respected banks,” she said without a trace of irony in her voice.
The North-easterly wind that had blown Ms Magda Carter in to my office now rested cold on the shoulders of my day; I kicked the electric heater under my desk to get the third bar working.
“She’s been casting financial aspersions about my husband and, much as I despise the man, I cannot allow her to jeopardise his credit rating.”
The emotional winter brought about by the advent of social media has left me unsurprised by the ice in people’s veins; it seems that distance atrophies empathy.
“I will treat this with the utmost of urgency Ms Carter, consider me hot on the trail of an amicable solution.”
“Amicable will not be necessary Mr Time, I want her shut down cold.”

No comments:

Bookshop

Buy this book on Lulu. Kindle Version
Kindle Version
© Garth Erickson. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Page Ranking Tool
Creative Commons License